Let me preface this list that if you actually make a conscious effort to do this everyday, as if it is some type of religion, then I will come to your house and punch you.
I am not L. Ron Hubbard. This is not my Dianetics.
But these are 12 great things to do everyday if you are actively making your own, or someone else’s money online.
1. Check your damn analytics – If you owned a brick and mortar you would be making daily notations of how many people purchased items at your store, what items were purchased, and even informal assessments of foot traffic. The same is true of your online business. Utilizing analytical programs actively can be a great way to monitor the online reputation and issues with the search marketing campaign for your website through recognition of traffic patterns.
2. Update your Facebook presence – Each day add some frieds, change your status, or do something else to keep your facebook page fresh. I keep getting questions about how utilizing Facebook is useful. Well Marty at aimclear said it better than me so I will let him explain. But in the end everything you do online must by looked at like a pyramid, with seeding being the foundation and your goal being the the pinnacle.
3. Monitor your online reputation – Whether you use the world’s stupidest online reputation tool, or the worlds greatest, make sure you are monitoring your online reputation everyday.
4. Read at least one Internet Marketing blog post – I don’t use a feed reader. I usually let Twitter tell me what I should be reading. Take time once a day to at least devour one blog post.
Some great blogs to start out on include:
5. Try to utilize a new tool each day – I get this tidbit from Jordan Kasteler. He loves SEO and social media tools, and rightfully so. They can sometimes do the heavy lifting for you. The only way you are going to find the tools that best fit you are by trial and error.
6. Hit StumbleUpon once a day and just Stumble – You can get all kinds of inspiration from seeing the content other people viewed as being valuable. There are other benefits from stumbling that could take an entire article.
7. Utilize Twitter – Man I shouldn’t even have to explain this one. Twitter has emerged as a key social media platform, and if you aren’t utilizing it everyday then you are missing huge opportunities, in business and social terms.
8. Take an hour and do something that isn’t Internet related – Go play with your kids, spend time with your significant other, read a book, play video games, whatever. Because when all is said and done life isn’t about work, its about our relationships with others. The more balanced your life is the better you will be at marketing.
9. Check your competitors out – Don’t live in a defensive bubble. Check out what your competition is doing, and figure out how to one-up-them. This means looking at their site, link portfolio, and even online mentions. Get their blueprint, and build upon it.
10. Thank print media for being stubborn – Everyday when you wake up, you should thank everyone in print media for refusing to rethink their business model and sending you all of their former advertisers.
11. Check out IM Broadcast for the latest in Internet Marketing video – Ok, that’s a shameless plug, but if you know me, you know I’m a whore.
12. Thank God, Allah or whomever that you get paid to play on the Internet. Think about how stupid and yet wonderful that sounds.